Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Boss

We watched the Super Bowl half-time show -- everybody singing out loud along with Born to Run, Glory Days, etc. My children -- 16 and 9 years old -- are fluent in Boss, along with many other singers their friends may not know. My husband and I feel it important to pass along an appreciation for the classics: Bon Jovi, Journey, that band whose drummer only has one arm.

A commercial that featured the old Marvin Gaye and Tammy Terrell song Ain't No Mountain High Enough gave me an opportunity to give my 9 year old another lesson in some of my favorite music -- old Motown. "What is that song, Mom" he asked me. "I like it."

So I sang more of it for him -- more than had been used on the commercial. Because I know it. That is my curse -- a memory for lyrics. I can sing a lot of old pop songs.

some of it stuck. Later I heard him singing at the computer: "Ain't no mountain wide enough, ain't no river wide enough, ain't no valley wide enough..." Not exactly correct, but he sang it with feeling so that's good enough for me.

No comments: